Mushroom & Pea Brown Rice Risotto
Risotto is a classic Italian wholesome dish traditionally made with white arborio rice. Here short-grain rice with a long slow absorption method that creates a delicious wholefood plant-based version of the classic.
Servings 4 people
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 stalk Celery diced
- 1½ cups Brown rice
- 1 sprig Rosemary leaves only, finely chopped
- 6 cups Liquid vegetable stock warmed
- 500 g Oyster mushrooms cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Microgreens e.g. amaranth, basil, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, celery, chard, coriander, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard, parsley, peas, radish, rocket, spinach, and sorrel.
- ⅓ cup peas
- Heat a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté for 3 mins.1 Onion, 2 Garlic cloves, 1 stalk Celery
- Add the brown rice and chopped rosemary leaves and stir well. Add 5 cups of the vegetable stock and stir well.1½ cups Brown rice, 1 sprig Rosemary, 6 cups Liquid vegetable stock
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. When boiling, reduce the heat to very low and cook for 1½ hrs until all the liquid is absorbed and the grains of rice are soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms. When the rice is cooked, add 1 cup of stock. Then stir vigorously for 1–2 mins until the rice is creamy.500 g Oyster mushrooms
- Finally add the sautéed mushrooms and peas, mix well and top with microgreens.1 cup Microgreens, ⅓ cup peas
- add basil leaves
- cooked, diced chicken - for non-vegetarians